Thursday, June 3, 2010

the immune system is CRAZY

I am ahead of my game right now, I am psyched and don't want to fall behind...so a short post.

I have been geeking out on HLA lately. HLA stands for human leukocyte antigen. This is a set of genes that encode something called the Major Histiocompatibility Complex, which is on cells that present antigens (read - bad stuff) to T cells, so they can trigger mechanisms to destroy said bad things.

There are many different HLA permutations, depending on which types of T cells they want to send messages to (CD4 or CD8). So what is the relevance to me, asks the reader? AUTOIMMUNE diseases. Here, the body turns on itself, in that it recognizes certain cells in the body as foreign and wants to destroy them. Obviously not good, since the body actually needs those cells. A classic exam is type 1 diabetes, where the islet cells on the pancreas that make insulin are destroyed, so uptake of glucose into cells that need it in the body is impaired. These pancreatic cells are destroyed by the body itself! Not some outside interloper. Cool stuff, unless they are your islet cells.

Even more interestingly, certain autoimmune diseases are linked to the same HLA type. Diabetes type 1 is linked to Rheumatoid Arthritis, via HLADR4. There's a whole slew of arthritis oriented disorders linked to HLAB27, including arthritis that you can get after having chlamydia. Even if you treat the chlamydia, you are still at risk for developing this arthritis (called reactive arthritis - used to be called Reiter's arthritis, but they are trying to get away from it because Dr. Reiter was a Nazi doctor, and you know what those dudes were up to).

And with that...back to the thymus.


3 comments:

  1. what a fascinating, modern world we live in. Nazi doctors and self-destruction! good post. all the best to you on your test! love JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you know what that means... Savage Henry has cashed his check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and I never thought I would ever get a cure. This made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship. He broke up with me when he found out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on a Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got cured and let her contact details, so I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give it a try too and use his herbal medicine. That was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can Cure all Neuromuscular Diseases,Hiv/Aids,Hsv,Cancers all types with his natural herbal medicines. (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or visit his website on www.drituaherbalcenter.com)

    ReplyDelete