Thursday, May 27, 2010

Viridans strep - it's in your mouth

I am learning about bacterial endocarditis right now. This is a disorder of the valvular surfaces in the heart, which acquire soft vegetations of fibrin, inflammatory cells and bacteria (if caused by bacteria, that is). The mitral valve (between left atrium and left ventricle) is most commonly affected, followed by the aortic valve.

Anyway. Viridians streptococci is an organism that isn't super virulent that hangs out in our mouths. Welcome to the exciting and scary world of bacteria and you - a love story. When you have dental procedures, Viridans can get into your bloodstream and travel to your mitral valve, but ONLY if it is already diseased or you have some congenital malformations. You get insidious, so NOT rapid, onset of this type of endocarditis, called subacute bacterial endocarditis.

Symptoms of bacterial endocarditis - you are warned, be vigilant:
fever!!!!!!!!!!
a new murmur
Janeway lesions = small erythematous (red) lesions on the palms of hands or soles of foot
Roth's spots (round white spots in the retina of your eye, surrounded by hemorrhage)
anemia
'Osler's node' (really?) which is tender raised lesions on your finger or toe pads
Splinter hemorrhages on the nail bed.

Treatment?
Antibiotics, obviously, though this person needs to be hospitalized because this is actually very serious. It can lead to valve replacement if it gets severe.

cheerio. back to boards.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting that the symptoms show up in the hands and feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. I had to search a few different places to figure out why that is. So you have all these bacteria hanging out on this damaged valve, forming deposits (with blood clotting substances like platelets). these little deposits with the bacteria in them break off of the valve and travel to any part of the body. That's why you see the weird distant symptoms, because those are good places for the bacteria to get caught.

    You don't see this is if the endocarditis is NOT due to infection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! great stuff, the trials of the heart, Olser's knob or whatnot the fluxpoint of health, invasion of the inner ventricles and the the necessity of keeping clean. heavy reading. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and I never thought I would ever get a cure. This made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship. He broke up with me when he found out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on a Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got cured and let her contact details, so I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give it a try too and use his herbal medicine. That was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can Cure all Neuromuscular Diseases,Hiv/Aids,Hsv,Cancers all types with his natural herbal medicines. (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or visit his website on www.drituaherbalcenter.com)

    ReplyDelete